Thursday, September 7, 2017

"Everything Passes"

"Let nothing trouble you; let nothing frighten you.
For everything passes, but God will never change.
Patient endurance will obtain everything.
Whoever has God, wants [lacks] for nothing at all.
God alone is enough.
God alone is enough.
Whoever has God, wants [lacks] for nothing at all."
-John Michael Talbot

https://youtu.be/phBB54jB7QE

Smack-dab in the middle of these current days, my heart has been soothed into deep assurance of the presence of the Lord and His perspective on this time through that song. I need those words right now. It's incredible how there are so many things that want to tempt my heart into unrestful ponderings and frightened imaginations. For me right now, there is the upcoming birth of our baby, due to arrive at any point in time in the next three (hopefully not four) weeks. My world is about to change! Our life will never be the same again. Am I ready? What will the birth be like? Will there be any complications or will everything go smoothly? Do I have everything I need? And, the most unnerving question of all, am I ready for life after birth?

I doubt anybody can be totally prepared for having another human being joining their home. True, I am much more ready now than I was a month or a week ago, but yet we have never actually met this person yet, and have so much to learn about life with her.


God is reminding me in His calm, restful way that everything passes; impending labor and birth...the following days and weeks of so much to learn and so many firsts...even the nights strung out in a looming marathon of staying up with a crying or hungry baby. Everything passes; but GOD will never change. As I sit here with my whopping belly, marveling at all the change I am experiencing in this one season of my life, the realization that my God will never change is like the feeling I get when I'm swimming and worn out, ready to collapse...and I let my toes sink...to feel solid ground beneath down under the water. Ahhh. I can stand. I can suck in a strengthening gulp of air; I can relax.

In just a few weeks, this long, long (llloooonnnnnnggg) season of pregnancy will be over. I can't be pregnant forever. I will be looking back on this time very soon. Even if I would have to face something unexpectedly difficult in this time, it too will be something I look back on one day. God will never change. He is faithful. We can rely and rest all our weight on His unfailing love. (see Psalm 33:18, NLT) I am sinking my soul into the restful steadiness I see in God. From His perspective, this is a season that will pass, and from His perspective, I'm going to be OK.

No comments: