Monday, September 4, 2017

At the Gate

The time was set; the End had come
Earth’s battles fierce had just been won!
Heav’n’s Kingdom’s rule had just begun;
God’s people gathered to come home.

We all were there, expectantly,
Yet some had doubts, or fears, it seemed;
For as we looked up towards Heav’n’s Gate
We saw that questions chose our fate.

“When I am scrutinized, will I
The tests come past with colors high?
Or will I go to endless mourn
In deepest darkness, pain and scorn?”

These thoughts were deep; I wondered too
But then with clarity I knew:
Christ’s blood is all my Confidence!
Naught else could be a sure defense.

I knew I’d lived my life for Him,
In faith, not sight, earth’s treasures dim
And of my sins I’d honest been
In sight of God, and sight of men.

“Praise for the Blood!” I said with joy
“No need for any other ploy;
Christ’s blood has washed it all away!
No need for fears here on this day!”

The time drew near; our time was here!
My bro was first, his answer clear.
“I trust in Christ the best I know;
He’s washed me whiter than the snow.”

A smile flashed on Gate-man’s face
“Yes! Enter in! Come to your place!”
And now attention turned to me;
My body thrilled expectantly.

I waited as the gate-man smiled
Looked at his book, and said “My child
Your life is clear! Be of great cheer!
Come in, welcome, we know you here!”

I thrilled; I could’ve sang for joy!
I’d lived my life to see this day!
My stand for Christ in life on earth
Was known in Heav’n! What cause for mirth!

Before I’d time to enter in
A man came running from within
He thrust some money in my hand;
“Dimes, quarters? I don’t understand.”

But wait – this shiny currency
‘Twas not American! Oh, me!
Their words inscribed I read with awe:
This was not paltry change at all!

“Ten million”, not a dime, it said!
Each coin the same, in millions read
I looked up, puzzled, so the man
Began to help me understand.

“This is the first of much reward
That you have here in Heaven stored!
I have been sent with this foretaste,
To say your life was not a waste.”

I then recalled the little boy
Whose fee I’d payed for, and his joy
It all sunk in: the things I’ve done
Are repaid here, million for one!

Excitedly, I entered in,
To see my Jesus and begin
Exploring all in store for me
In glorious Eternity.


And then I woke – it was a dream.
I rubbed my eyes; so real it seemed!
And then I thrilled; oh, for the day
When Heav’n will rinse earth’s cares away!

And every thing I sacrificed
Will be repaid for by my Christ.
He sees it all! He sent this dream
To boost me, give my eyes a gleam.

Maybe He sent it for you, too
Though but a dream, its picture’s true
For in the Kingdom Jesus rules
The ones who lose to gain aren’t fools.

God sees us every day we live;
What things we choose, and how we give
When we arrive at Heaven’s door
May our clear lives have gone before!

Will we be those whose lives are known
And cheered for, around Heaven’s Throne?
Oh, let me live more faithfully
Until the day when faith shall “see”!

HNR

3.16.17


At the time I had this dream I had been struggling with who I am/how God sees me; this dream gave and gives me fresh courage and confidence to keep living each of these precious days for HIM, knowing that as I do, I am known in Heaven and will be unashamed when I reach The Gates!

2 comments:

Rachel Lloyd said...

I really, really like this poem! And so happy that you started a blog... Always thought you should!! :)
-Rach

Unknown said...

This gives me goose bumps again! So blessed by this!

-Sarah