Thursday, November 30, 2017

My Dilemma (Opportunity?)

“Is this one your first?”
They all want to know,
All the curious admirers 
This question throw

"Yes, she is my first";
But no, she is not;
"I’ve also a boy...
But she’s all that I’ve got."

Oh what is most truthful??
My heart pleads inside
I want to explain, 
But as well want to hide.

I don’t want the blushes,
The awkward trite words
So should I just smile
And say, “yes it’s my first”?

It’s my first to be waking
Through nighttime to feed
But the second to have milk
And a baby to need.

It’s the first time to see
My child smiling at me
But oh, how I still miss
My son’s boyish glee.

She’s the first I hug daily
And kiss on the nose
But one day I did hug him, 
Kissed, and fingered his toes.

It’s the first I am cheering
At each development
But no, I’d cheered for his
Though I hadn’t seen him yet.

So what should I answer?
What’s most true to my heart?
The most truthful? least awkward?
Choosing which, is an art.

She’s the one for my arms now
The other, God has
Takes time to explain 
But I’m glad that you asked.

She’s the only one with me,
But it’s two I’ve been giv’n-
She’s the one you can see,
And my Boy - lives in Heav’n!

Written Nov 30, 2017


I am finding a way to answer that oft-asked question, a way that shows my anticipation for heaven and my love for Seth. It has opened up many good conversations with people. When you are willing to be vulnerable and aren’t awkward about it, other people know it’s OK to share their vulnerabilities as well. God is helping me turn this question that I don’t like a whole lot into an opportunity for meaningful connections with people I never would’ve connected with if it weren’t for my children. Thank You Lord.

What is a question you don't enjoy answering? Perhaps God would like to give you a way to answer that will turn it into an opportunity instead of a dreaded scenario.

No comments: