Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Pop Me A Quiz, Please

As a girl, I was enthralled by the word "pop", as well as any of its derivatives. Popsicles? How I loved to slurp the cold, sweetness of a homemade juice popsicle on a hot day. Or pretty much any kind of a day. Popcorn? If we didn't make it once a week I missed its crunchy saltiness enough to make it for a snack whenever my mom would allow. Even if it wasn't 6pm on Sunday. Lollipops?! The fact that grownups didn't seem to enjoy them never bothered me a lick! (Pun intended) Lollipops appeared on my drawings and childish journal entries as little icons of happiness. Favorite flower? The very name, "poppy" sounded jolly and the orange petals whose colors popped so flamboyantly ranked up there in my favorites to be sure. "Popping in" on a friend always sounded like such a mesmerizing thing to do. And yes, there was even a darling old Little Tot book at my Great Grandpa's that captured my heart from the start. The title was "Soda Pop"!

So perhaps it was my childhood delight in everything "pop"-ish that caused the words "Pop Quiz" to dance off the page and into my imagination in the book for mommies that I was reading today. Unlike the kind of pop that deflates a balloon, this sort of "pop" put helium in mine!

I really did need a boost as I sat not completely unlike a zombie (or a grouch) in bed in a tangle of sheets, spit up drying on my arms and my darling infant finally half asleep beside me. As I turned to find my place in the book, "Pop Quiz, hot shot" caught my eye. Intrigued, I read on:

A. My difficulties are literally Thanksgiving burdens. 
They spring from bounty and abundance and point to blessing in every respect.
B. My difficulties require difficult, costly sacrifices
C. I have a choice to make. I can fight with bitterness against these sacrifices,
or I can surrender to them.


Folks, that little "pop quiz" had the amazing ability to change my perspective on everything. I found myself agreeing with the mommy-author that my answer is "D"; all of the above. And if that's true, in reality all is well, and will be well. The difficulties we face are not too big. They are evidences of great, grand blessings! Kind of like the mountain of little white newborn-sized diaper packages containing baby messes beside the bed which are a sign of many good meals slurped down by my infant, a sign of the gift of what is becoming successful breastfeeding. A sign of a tummy that got filled; of a happy, growing little baby. The wakeful nights are a symbol of my dream come true, a little baby of my own to take care of. My lack of clothes that fit, along with the tummy flab to match, are a reminder of the beauty of a little life my body harbored as God did a new work of creation. The doctor bill is a reminder that none of my husband's scary looking moles are dangerous and needing to be removed.  The inconvenience of taking care of a case of thrush means that there actually is a solution. The heap of dirty dishes crusting in the sink is a reminder that we have had plenty to eat!

Since "D" is true, the difficulties I feel twining around me are an opportunity to surrender and let go of "me" to become free! They're a chance to embrace what's hard with a smile of gratefulness, which catalyzes a wonderfully intriguing metamorphosis. The things I choose to embrace and welcome become transformed into wings, giving this "caterpillar" a chance to FLY.....



So, next time my attitude is turning as disgusting as warm soda without its "pop",  Pass Me A Pop Quiz Please. (I'm 100% sure my husband will be cheering you on!) ;)

This was written several weeks ago by now. I'm still doing the Pop Quizzes and finding delight in popping free of my "chrysalis" to fly!

No comments: