Friday, December 15, 2017

Nail Clippers, Dates, and Parking Spots

When this time of year comes around with its twinkling lights, the name "Immanuel" appears more often than usual. Jesus's coming was foretold with the usage of a precious name for Him: "Immanuel; that is, God With Us". For me personally, this is one of my most favorite names for my God. It never ceases to amaze me that the God who created the galaxies and our little life-inhabited globe cared so much for the world that He put Himself into a human body and lived among us!

What is equally awesome is that He is still God With Us, now. This week I have been noticing a lot of little ways that He has shown up in my life, and I wanted to share them with somebody. You might think they're minuscule but they show me that He is present in my life, and that He cares. So if you want to hear my stories...here goes:

Fingernail Clippers
I was ambling through Sharp Shopper, treasure hunting from my shopping list, when I spied with my little eye a plastic bin of: fingernail clippers! Now the reasons for my excitement were threefold: 1) I had mysteriously lost my clippers recently and they happen to be a frequented essential in my bag for dealing with everything from fast-growing fingernails to opening a tough bag of chips! 2) These clippers also had the cuticle/cleaner piece; and 3) They were the kind you could clip onto your key ring. When I got the checkout I discovered moreover that they were being sold for the grand price of $.99 a piece! I took them home and upon trying them out realized that they are really nice. In fact, I must have bragged them up because both my husband and one of my sisters both asked me to get them one the next time I could go to that store!


Well, the days passed and I wasn’t able to get out. It bothered me in the back of my mind since I had told them I would get them some clippers too. “Lord, could you let there be at least two left when I can get to that store again?” I asked my Father. If you've ever been to Sharp Shopper, you know that what you find there one time probably won't be there the next time you come, at least if it's a good deal.

Finally I was able to get out, and went straight for the aisle which housed the little shiny treasures. My heart beat faster as I saw the basket was empty...of all except for TWO fingernail clippers. I worshipped God right there. In this little detail of my life, God was there, and He cared.

Medjool Dates
A few nights ago two of Jonathan’s Middle Eastern friends were coming over for coffee and Book-reading. I was busy caring for Joy (it was getting late at night) so my husband and I discussed what he could serve his friends. We didn’t seem to have a lot of good options in the house at the moment, except for...our special medjool dates. I had splurged and bought them a few weeks ago and we were relishing each nibble together. They were really soft, exceptionally melt-in-your-mouth dates. We both looked at each other. Those dates felt pretty special and hard to give up at that moment. Slowly and decisively Jonathan lifted the container of delicacies up with both hands and said, “Lord we give these dates to you.” So around the Book the men enjoyed their treat with sips of strong black Arabic coffee late at night.


This morning I had some shopping to do, and I decided I would stop at Aldi’s to see if by any chance they still had those dates. Guess what? There they were, and were one of the week’s specials at half the price I remember them being several weeks ago! I was able to get two containers for around the same price I had been planning to get one, and I did it wearing a big smile. My God cares about our little “sacrifice” of something special to us and wanted to remind me that He repays over and above in heaven what we give Him here below - and sometimes He repays on earth too.

Parking Spots 
I don't know if you've ever lived on the second/third story apartment of a house or not. It means that you get a lot of stairs into your daily routine. Not only stairs, but if you live in a row house near downtown without a parking spot to call your own, you may need to be walking a block or more to find your car! This was an inconvenience before having a child, but now with a warm little darling in her carseat to carry (not to mention everything else a trip going out entails) the hike down the stairs is a bigger and trickier workout, and to walk a freezing block away with several loads can be daunting and confusing. What do I take out first, and what do I leave for last? Can I manage to carry everything in one trip, or will I end up partway down the street with stuff falling out of my arms? Will my baby be crying in the house, disturbing the neighbors, while I take out the first load?

So all of that is the background for a simple plea to God to let there be a parking space out in front of our house for me. Not just once...but all Winter, Lord?

So far, He has totally answered my prayer since then, and oh how I treasure every blessed time I pull onto our street and find a parking spot right in front of our row house! Once, as I pulled up to park the person who had parked in front of our house came walking down the street right then, got in his car and drove away! I do believe at that moment my Father in Heaven was smiling at me.


I know the title only had three items, but here's a couple bonus stories where I saw God in the last week:

Dinnertime Discussion
Recently we were privileged to eat dinner with a family who has been through a lot. They know so much suffering and heartache, yet don't seem to be bitter, so Jonathan asked them, "What do you do to stay encouraged as you walk through suffering and trials?" Their response was so beautiful I stayed stuck in the moment, savoring it long after the others had moved the discussion on. "We are convinced of the Sovereignty of God. That's one thing we decided to put our absolute faith in long ago, and when we don't understand what's going on we fall back on that trust." The rock-solid faith that I felt in those words and the tone of voice they were spoken in has stayed with me ever since. I saw God-With-Us there at the table eating our roast and vegetables. Only He could give the grace to hold on to faith like that.

Three Angels
I was having a rough morning about a week ago, so before Jonathan went to work he prayed for me. I got tears in my eyes when he prayed that God would send someone to visit me that day. "That gift would bless me so much," I thought. "It's just what I need." My baby went to sleep, so I did too. I slept, that is, until my phone started ringing. It was my sister Elisabeth, and basically the first thing she said was, "The rest of the family except Jonathan, Michaela and I will be gone or busy this afternoon, so I was wondering if we could come over and visit you! Would that be OK?"

Ahh. What a delight. God, with us. How I enjoyed my afternoon with those three "angels".

Where do you see Immanuel at work in your life this week? I would really love to hear your stories too!

1 comment:

Sara Nolt said...

I love this! It is so heartwarming to hear how God answered your prayers in small ways. I call them hugs from God. So sweet!