Saturday, May 19, 2018

Goodbyes, an Irritable Clerk, & Me

I could feel the slowing motion as our little car rolled to a stop. My eyelids peeled open to see that we had arrived at AAA. Sitting up, I managed to get my hair into presentable condition. My mini nap while waiting for Jonathan to get out of Home Depot had barely taken me several feet out of my pit of tiredness, no matter how grateful I was for it.

The cumulative pile of tasks of the day trailed along  behind me in my thoughts as we walked into AAA. The last (last...last...last...last...) visit to our apartment of four years had gone well, although I had dreaded it so much. We had the final meeting with the landlord, and with a jingle all our copies of the house keys were in his hands. Hurrying up the stairs before he could have a chance to get there first, we stood in the bedroom which was once our beautiful nest, remembering so many happy times. "Goodbye, bedroom." We whispered softly. With a sigh, I felt a sense of completion in that "good" goodbye. Although I really don't like goodbyes.

After we finished up at the house, we also said goodbye to some of our dear neighbors whom we hadn't gotten a chance to say goodbye to on the moving day. That, too, I had been dreading. I will miss being neighbors. Oh, so many good memories. Goodbye, neighborhood.

Now this trip to AAA (where we aren't members, they like to remind us) was the 10th stop of the day. I was tired. 

Pulling open the heavy glass doors to AAA, we stepped in and went to the front desk. "We are here to get my wife's International Drivers Permit." Jonathan set Joy's heavy car seat down in front of the lady at the front desk. Blinking my bleary, sleepy eyes, I pulled out my drivers license to verify my identity, then sat down to wait.

Minutes later my name was called. After innocently starting to follow the lady who came for me into the administrative office area, I lugged Joy and her car seat to the correct cubicle. "Show me what you've got." The lady's tone was flat and intimidating, and I tried to keep my eyes open as I pulled out my license and two passport photos for her inspection.

“These don’t look like the same person.” Her eyes darted from photo to photo as I stifled a snort and peered over to join her inspection. "They don't look like the same person," She insisted. "Well, they are. They're both me." It was my turn to put a flat tone into my voice. What nonsense. They both look like me to me! True, both photos were taken on different days, and one looked a little more beautiful. I had to snicker to imagine her comparing the beautiful picture to the sleepy, half-grouchy me standing in front of her. I could just hear her thinking, "Where did that smile go?" 

After another thirty seconds or so of deliberation she had made up her mind. "We can get you two pictures that look alike for you for $14.99," she said. Thankfully, I didn't snort or even roll my bleary eyes. "Ah, I think I will take care of that myself and come back." I decided. <<For $0.25 at Walmart, too!>>

On the way back out to the car, I am ashamed to say that I wanted to fume furiously to myself about the cranky lady who wouldn't accept my precious two mostly-identical photos and who made my already complicated life one step more complicated yet. However, I became contemplative instead.


Transition can do funny things to you. To me, anyway. The more I thought about the two photos, the  more I thought that yes, the one photo looked more youthful and happy and the other one looked more tired and mediocre. And me, today? A look into the visor window was less than flattering.

I had to ask myself: what kind of person do I want to be right now?

If I were my daughter, what would I like my mom to be like? 
tender; spunky; interested in me; full of life
OR
cranky; irritable; selfish.
If I were my husband, what would I like my wife to be like right now?
caring for my needs; humble; willing to do anything with me
OR
grumpy; proud; full of self; draggy.
Yes, it can be easy to use the excuse: "I'm in a time of deep transition. Don't expect too much from me." However, as I look at myself in the mirror, I sense that God is enticing me to receive MORE of Him. More of His grace. More of His life and sustaining power.

Sometimes you need to stop and realize that what's coming out of you is the wrong kind of fruit. Sometimes you realize your need for the Holy Spirit extra much. Sometimes you find yourself being grateful for an inconveniently difficult stranger who helped you get back on track.

 Sometimes you find Grace in unexpected places.

This post is a linkup with velvetashes.com “The Grove” with this week’s topic of "leaving".

No comments: